Thursday, September 2, 2010

I heart sweet cookie pops - Tim Tam Cookie Pop recipe

Not so subliminal message -  I heart sweet cookie pops

I'm on a cookie pop binge at the moment.

I am giving myself a baking breather and cookie pops do not require any real cooking and satisfy my super sweet tooth, and they are fast. Yup ready to eat within an hour.


After those delicious Oreo pops the other day, I thought I would try out some Australian brand cookies and so obviously one of the next cookies of the rank was the Tim Tam.

If your not from Australia, Tim Tams are a grocery store biscuit (that's what we call cookies here) with 2 chocolate rectangle biscuits iced together with a chocolate cream and covered in........chocolate.

Ok not a lot of thought went into that flavour combination there, but it seems to have served Arnott's well as they are a bit of an Aussie icon.


And these pops don't just taste sweet and look sweet, they SAY sweet. Boy I'm as bad as Arnott's not much thought process going on here. My only thoughts are of sweeeet, sweeeeet cookie pops.


I tweaked this recipe by using my Oreo cookie recipe and checking out Not Quite Nigella's post on her Tim Tam pops.

Try these out, if you like Tim Tams I think you'll like them.

Tim Tam Cookie Pop recipe and instructions makes 10 cake pops

1 packet Tim Tams, 200grams (7  1/8 ounce)
80 grams cream cheese softened to room temp (2 7/8 ounce)
150 gram chocolate melts any flavour (5 3/8 ounce) I used white

1. Crush Tim Tams finely in food processor

2. Add cream cheese and pulse until mixture is smooth and comes together in a ball.


3. Shape mixture into balls and roll round in between your palms to shape. Mine are about 25g (7/8 ounce) each. Chill in fridge for a short time.

4. To secure sticks for dipping, melt some of the chocolate melts (I just do mine in the microwave for short bursts on med low) and dip the end of your sticks/pops in the chocolate and push into the firm truffles. Return to fridge.
5. Melt remainder of chocolate, make sure it is completely smooth. Holding the stick/pop dip truffles into the melted chocolate, allow excess to drip off and then place into a holder to set. I use blocks of styrofoam covered in plastic wrap.


Sweeeeeet!

These pops are decorated with some round fondant I cut out using the top of a large piping tip which I then decorated by hand prior to placing them on the pops.

Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.

Here is the link for instructions on how to stamp the decorations

37 comments:

  1. Yayyy! I heart your pops posts :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! A bit sad that such an Aussie Icon is actually owned by the Americans and no longer actually Australian though!
    I'm actually not a huge fan of tim tams (gasp!) I could take them or leave them - but you sell these so well! I'm going to have to try them :)
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love these what a great idea! Pops are my new favourite thing. I might try it with Mint Slices, then I'd be in total heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of Tim Tams, but they sound delicious! And the cookie pops look great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so impressed. This is a sweet cookie pop that would be hard to stop at one. One Tim Tam and somehow magically, the packet is empty...,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe, I took some tim tams over to the US last time I visited, now my US friends need them sent over especially! They're just too good

    Becs @ Stiletto Studio
    www.becslake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look so lovely! Ive never made cake pops before, but have made truffles, the same as the oreo ones in your preveous post.
    Thankyou for stopping by my blog also :)

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww thanks for the shoutout! I love the little kiss mark. May I ask how that was done? It's so clever! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kids are going to have a blast! Thanks Linda for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a huge tim tam fan and am really wanting to give pops a try, these look and sound perfect :) The hearts are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the decorations on the pops!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh the awesome original Australian Tim tams...glad the world loves them! http://www.AussiefoodShop.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh My Linda they Look Devine! i cannot wait to Taste them! *Drools*
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Linda these a great - thank you for sharing! I am going to attempt to make them on the weekend for a friends party. Where so you buy the pops/sticks? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. You can get the stick of Ebay if there are no cake stores that sell them nearby, I buy larger ones for iced cookies but find these 6 inch ones are perfect size for pops.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bet these are divine. Tim Tams are my favorite cooke!! But I don't know if I could do that to a package of Tim Tams. They are hard to come by here in the US! I would rather just use them for Tim Tam Slams!

    ReplyDelete
  18. There's only one way Tim Tams could only be made better and I reckon you've nailed it in these cookie pops. Beautifully made and decorated too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember eating TIM TAMS! Just delicious! I forgot how good it was until your post reminded me of it.

    Rambles with Reese

    ReplyDelete
  20. i just did this and i think i stuffed it up :S it wasnt amazing, lol what cream cheese did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jersy, Oh dear that's no good. They didn't work, did you just not like the taste or they didn't look good? I used plain Philadelphia cheese, the full fat type from the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
  22. yeah i used Philadelphia too, however i think i was the only one who didnt like it, everyone i shared them with wouldnt stop raving about them! i have a bit of a sugar intolerance so i felt abit sick but everyone LOVED them. and begged me to make more!! shame i couldnt enjoy them too!! so thanks for the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh My! I have just made cupcake pops for my sons 2nd birthday and they took hours! Look out Christmas Day! Its cookie pops on the menu!!! Thanks so much for sharing can't wait for Christmas...hmmm maybe there will have to be a trial run or two ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm really loving these cakepops that everyone is making. Must give this one a go. Thanks for the tutorial

    www.eatcraftsow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi - I am from over the water - Sunny England an am loving your Tim Tam!! Pops - Are these biscuits crunchy or soft as im trying to figure out UK alternative?

    ReplyDelete
  26. They are a hardish biscuit I would say similar to an oreo type consistency(which I also have a recipe for here on the blog). I did a quick online and found a tesco milk chocolate sandwich bar....are they in your area. They looked quite similar from what I could see.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Thanks Alot - Yeah Tesco is in my Area and we now get Oreo's - We have a loads of sandwich biscuits so i'll just try and test - shame we'll have to eat loads :) Is your book going to be sold over the pond too as it looks cracking.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am just wondering how these need to be stored and how long they stay fresh for?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anon once set store these in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days for best results as they contain cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Come on Aussie Come on!! Just gotta love the Aussie Tim Tam. I just made these. I little tricky at first but they are yummy. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the Tim Tam cake pop! We made two batches, one with milk chocolate Tim Tams and the other with white chocolate Tim Tams and both were divine!

    I'm thinking of trying it with some of their other varieties.... why stop with one? They are just so yummy!

    We stock the cookie sticks and candy melts (coloured chocolate buttons perfect for cake pops) in our online store www.daisycakeart.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  32. These sound amazing! I would like to make them ahead of time for my son's birthday. Can the batter be frozen and then decorated with the melted chocolate once defrosted?

    ReplyDelete
  33. my mixture didn't go into a ball but that may be because it was a really hot day... i put the mix in the fridge and was able to roll into balls a couple hours later... i also used white timtams so that may have something to do with it! the end result was still great!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Narelle, I'm glad it worked out in the end. I have a different recipe for White Choc Tim Tams, there are actually less in a packet of white ones than regular ones, it's at the bottom of this post here. http://bubbleandsweet.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/lolli-cake-pops-tutorial-and-cake-pop.html

      Delete
  34. Hey there these look great. I am going to make them for gifts for the ladies at my 40th party. I just have one question. I am not 100% sure of what to do at step 4. Do you put the stickless pop into the chocolate and then push the stick in??
    Thanks

    Brenda :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda you pop the end of the stick into the chocolate and then push it into the tim tam truffle ball - If you check out this post the wording is a bit clearer and there is a picture of the step where the stick goes in (although yours will probably be round). Hope all goes well for your party.

      Delete